Salor la-hong chia mui trey.
(Papaya soup with fish).
Chunks fish with green papaya flavor with Khmer favorite seasoning of pickle fish ( pa-hok)fresh herbs and spices is delicious Khmer ethic food.
Back home, most Khmer Krom makes this easy soup with Mudfish (trey toke), or Catfish (trey naing) and sometime with crab (kdam).
I prefer fillet of fish only because I don’t like fish bones.
- Ingredients :
- 1 lb. Fillet catfish or Basa . Cut chunks.
- 1 Medium
green papaya, approx 1 ½ lbs. Peeled, seeded and sliced thin.
- 5 Cups water.
- ½ Cup fresh or frozen minced lemon grass.
- 3 Cloves garlic. Minced.
- 2 Stalks green onion. Chopped.
- 2 Hot chili pepper. Minced. ( Option)
- ½ Teaspoon turmeric powder, or 1 tablespoon fresh grated turmeric roots.
- 2 Tablespoons roasted rice powder.
- 1 Tablespoon creamy style pickle fish (pahok).
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce.
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil.
- 1 Teaspoon sugar.
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper.
- Procedures :
Boiled water, fish and papaya in a large soup pot.
In a mean while, pre-heat a small sauce pan, when it hot add cooking oil.
Saute' garlic with lemon grass, chili pepper and turmeric. Stirs for few minutes then pour it in to soup pot.
Seasoning with sugar, fish sauce, roasted rice powder, pahok and black pepper. Stirs well.
Top with green onion before serve.
Serve hot with rice.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.