Salor tapeng slirk ngup .
( Bamboo shoot and slirk ngup soup.)
This Khmer comfort food is very tasty and very easy to prepare;pork shanks with fresh bamboo shoot and tiny leafy green *slirk ngup*. At some provinces in Kampuchea Krom *slirk ngup* also know as *bu ngot*. Back home, very seldom our poor people can afford to buy meat, poor Khmer Krom villagers make this soup with whatever they could catches, eel, fish or rice field crabs. But for special occasions such as *Bonn Pchum Ben* Ancestors memorial day, poor villagers would empty their pockets to buy meat to cook for religious food offerings. Our people only use fresh bamboo shoot and some people prefer extra flavor with *pahok* pickle fish.
- Ingredients :
- 1-1-½ lbs Boneless pork shanks,cut chunks bite sizes
- 1 Stalk lemon grass, cut stalk to 4 inches in length
- 6 Cups water
- 1 Medium size fresh bamboo shoot, sliced thin or 1-package, 16 oz sliced bamboo shoot, rinsed well and drained
- 1 lb *Slirk ngup*, removed leaves from stems, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons roasted rice powder
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Stalks green onion, chopped
- Procedures :
Put meat,lemon grass and water in a large soup pot, cook till meat tender,
removed lemon grass stalks from the broth.
Add bamboo shoot to boiling broth, cook till bamboo shoot tender.
Add green leaves *slirk ngup* and roasted rice powder.
Seasoning with fish sauce, sugar, salt and black pepper.
Top with green onion.
Serve hot with rice.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.