Borbor chon. (Khmer snail and rice soup).
Delicious rice soup with fish and succulents apple snail is Khmer Krom country food.
- Ingredients :
- 1 lb package frozen Apple snail meat
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ Cup fresh or frozen minced lemon grass
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- ½ Tablespoon grated fresh or frozen Rhizome root
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ Cup un-cooked Jasmine rice
- 7 Cups water
- 3 Cups already peeled and cut cubes taro root
- ½ lb Basa, catfish or snakehead fish fillet, cut chunks bite sizes
- 4 Stalks Asian rhubarb (taro stalk) , peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ Teaspoon caynne or paprika pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Stalks green onion, chopped
- Procedures :
Clean snail: Soak snail in cold water, removes shell fragments or sand in snail’s stomach by and carefully check and feel by hand with each snail. Snail meat will not taste good if you bite in to sand. Rinses snail under cold water and put it in a colander to drain, and set it a side.
Using mortal and pestles manually pounded garlic, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves and rhizome root together real fine, when done set a side.
Heat up a large soup pot.
When soup pot is hot, add oil and rice, sauté rice till golden brown.
Add prepare herbs and snail, stirs well, pour water, stirs and cook till rice tender.
Add taro root and fish, cook till taro root tender, add taro stalks, stirs well.
Seasoning with fish sauce, salt, sugar, caynne and black pepper, stirs well till soup bubbling.
Add green onion, stirs before serve.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.