Num pachok nung pakon ang.
(Grilled tamarind shrimp noodles.)
Rice vermicelli with grilled tamarind shrimp, crisp vegetables and sweet fish sauce is very tasty Khmer Krom country food. Shrimp is abundant in Kampuchea Krom. Our poor people eat mainly seafood.
- Ingredients :
- 8 Cups water
- 1 Package rice vermicelli noodle
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 Stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 lbs large or extra large shrimp, peeled but leave tails on, de-veined
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon tamarind juice
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ Tablespoons light brown sugar or palm sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- Bamboo skewers
- 1 or 2 Cucumber, peeled and juliennes
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- ¼ Cup unsalted roasted peanut, crushed
- Procedures :
Cook 8 cups water in a large pot. When water bubbling add noodle to boiling water and cook till noodle tender.
Pour cooked noodle in to a colander, rinses under water and set a side.
Heat oil in a small saucepan. When oil is hot add chopped green onion,stirs for few seconds, remove onion oil from the stove and set a side.
In a large bowl, put peeled shrimp with garlic, tamarind juice, soy sauce, sugar and black pepper together. Mix well before skews shrimp through bamboo skewers, and cook it on hot grill till shrimp turns color. Set a side when it done.
Places some cooked noodles in bowl or plate, spreads some onion oil over noodle, add grilled tamarind shrimp, vegetables and some carrot and daikon relish, (option)
Pour some sweet fish sauce over noodles and top with crushed roasted peanut.
Grilled tamarind shrimp is also great to serve as appetizer (mahope sar).
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.