Trey char tirk kreoung.
(Spicy coconut catfish nuggets.)
Savory catfish and spicy coconut milk sauce is Khmer Krom ethnic food.
My family prefer catfish nuggets (catfish belly) because is taste great and very cheap.
- Ingredients :
- ¼ Cup minced fresh or frozen lemon grass
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 4 Slices fresh galanga root, or frozen galanga root
- 1 Small yellow onion,chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic,peeled
- 2 Hot chili pepper (option)
- 1 Large dried red pepper(soaked in warm water), or 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Cup water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb Catfish nuggets or fillet basa or catfish, or any white meat fish, rinsed and pat dry with paper towel
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon palm sugar, or light brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon shrimp paste (option)
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- Procedures :
In a blender, put lemon grass, kaffir lime leaf, galanga, onion, garlic, chili pepper, red pepper and water, blended it well and set it a side.
Pre-heat a large skillet.
When it hot add oil and catfish nuggets, stirs till fish lightly brown.
Add mix sauce and coconut milk, stirs well.
Seasoning with fish sauce, sugar, shrimp paste and black pepper( Note, if not using shrimp paste, add extra tablespoon fish sauce.)
Simmering till sauce reduced.
Serve hot with rice and steamed or fresh vegetables.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.