Cari sdet dey nung pakon lahong.
(Peanut curry with shrimp and papaya.)
Succulent shrimp with thick, rich, peanut curry sauce and green papaya is authentic Khmer Krom country food. Authentic recipe cooked with roasted peanut powder which most villagers back home still using mortal and pestles to pounds roasted peanut into peanut powder. I used creamy peanut butter for this recipe because it is less time consumed and taste just as good.
- Ingredients :
- 1lb Large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- ½ Cup fresh or frozen minced lemon grass
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh galanga root, or frozen galanga root
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 2 Kaffir lime leaf
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 2 Hot chili pepper or to your taste(option)
- ¼ Cup creamy peanut butter,I prefer Peter Pan brand
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Yellow onion,chopped
- 2 Cups chopped,already peeled and seeded green papaya, approx ½ medium papaya
- 2 Cups water
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ Tablespoon sugar
- Procedures :
In a large bowl, put shrimp with salt and black pepper, set a side.
Put lemon grass,galanga root,garlic,kaffir lime leaves, curry powder, paprika, chili pepper, peanut butter and coconut milk in a blender, blended well and set it a side.
Heat up a skillet or wok. When it hot add oil and onion.
Add curry sauce,cook and stirs sauce for 5 minutes.
Add papaya and water, and simmering till papaya tender.
Add shrimp, cook till shrimp turns darker pink color.
Seasoning with fish sauce and sugar. Stirs well.
Serve hot with rice, crusty French or Italian bread.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.