Pahok kho prolit .
(Pickle fish with water lily stems.)
Water lily is symbol of tranquilly. The Buddhists like to decorates the altars with the fragrant, white water lily flowers.
Like tulips , water lily also come with many different colors; purple, pink, fuchsia, yellow, red and white.
Khmer love to eats water lily stems, the stems are deliciously crisp and can be eating raw or cooked.
Trout with pork riblets and water lily stems flavor with spicy hot pickle fish (pahok) sauce is delicious Khmer Krom country foods.
Authentic recipe cooked with pork riblets, but the poor villagers uses unsalted bacon(sach chrouk bei choen), because is cheapest cut of meat.
- Ingredients :
- 1 Whole trout approx 1 lb. Cleaned fish and cut in to chunks.
- ½ lb Pork meat with skin on(sliced thin), or 1 lb pork riblets ( cut in to bite sizes).
- 1 lb. Water lily stems. Peeled outer skin and cut about 2 inches in length.
- 5 Cups water.
- ½ Cup fresh or frozen minced lemon grass.
- 3 Cloves garlic. Minced.
- ½ Yellow onion. Sliced.
- 2 Tablespoons boneless, creamy style pickle fish (pahok.)
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil.
- 1 Tablespoon sugar.
- ½ Teaspoon salt.
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper.
- 4 Chopped hot chili pepper, or to your taste. (Option).
- Procedures :
Pre-heat a soup pot, add cooking oil when it hot.
Sauté garlic , onion, lemon grass, chili pepper and pork meat.
Seasoning with sugar, salt and black pepper.
Pour water in to the soup pot when meat brown.
Cook pork meat until it tender before add fish and pickle- fish (pahok).
When fish tender add water lily stems.
Cook water lily stems for 1 minute. Do not over cooked.
Serve hot with rice.
Khmer Krom like to squeezes fresh lime juice in the sauce and dips cut up raw vegetables with mint leaves when eat.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.