Salor machu plei spu sach ko.
(Sweet, sour beef and star fruit soup.)
Sweet, sour, spicy beef soup with green star fruit is Khmer Krom ethnic food. It’s very tasty and easy to cook.
Sweet juicy raw star fruit is great treat for snack. The villagers often uses star fruit for cooking, for medication purpose and food offerings. Khmer Krom likes to cook food with good symbol on New Year. Miracle star fruits are symbol for wealth and good health. Read more information about star fruit.
- Ingredients :
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Cloves garlic, chopped
- ½-1 lb beef chuck, cut to bite sizes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh or frozen minced lemon grass
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- 5 Cups water
- 2 Star fruit, trims the tips of skin on each wedge, sliced and removed seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Knorr tamarind powder
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- ¼ lb Bean sprout
- 1 Stalk green onion, chopped
- 6 Fresh Saw leaf herb, chopped
- A handful of chopped sweet basil, and rice paddy herb
- 2 Chopped hot chili pepper or to your taste (option)
- Procedures :
Pre-heat a large soup pot with high temperature.
When soup pot is hot, add oil and garlic, sauté till garlic turns brown, removed roasted garlic from oil, put it in a small bowl and set a side.
Add beef and lemon grass in with hot oil, stirs well.
Add salt and black pepper.
Add water and cook till beef tender.
Add star fruit to the soup.
Seasoning with tamarind powder,fish sauce and sugar.
Add tomato and bean sprouts, stirs well.
Top with green onion, herbs, roasted garlic and chili pepper.
Serve hot with rice.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.