Salor machu trey plei spu .
(Sweet,sour,spicy star fruit soup).
Delicious sweet, sour and spicy star fruit soup with Asian catfish is authentic recipe from Khmer Krom in Swaton (Triton), Mott Chrouk( Chau Doc) province. Authentic recipe used tamarind pulps but I substituted for tamarind powder because it easier and faster to cook, and it taste just as good.
- Ingredients :
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh or frozen minced lemon grass
- 4 Cups water
- 1 lb package frozen Asian catfish( rinsed well under water), or 1 lb filet basa or catfish (cut chunks)
- 2 Star fruits , sliced
- 2 Stalks celery, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Knorr tamarind powder
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tomato, cut chunks
- 2 Stalks green onion, chopped
- ½ Cup chopped rice paddy herb(ma-om)
- 2 Chopped chili pepper or to your taste (option)
- Procedures :
Pre-heat a soup pot.
When soup pot is hot, add oil, saute' garlic and lemon grass for few minutes then add water, cook till water bubbling.
Add fish, star fruit and celery to boiling water, stirs and cook till fish tender.
Seasoning with tamarind powder, fish sauce and sugar, stirs well, add tomato, stirs.
Top with green onion, rice paddy herb and hot chili pepper before serve.
Serve hot with rice.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.