Bai ang chon samoth .
( Baked coconut rice with shellfish)
Seafood rice flavor with turmeric and coconut milk is delicious recipe from Khmer Krom in *Karmourn Sor* Rach Gia province.
Back home, most Khmer Krom bake foods on stove top because most of us do not have oven. This is how we bake.
- Ingredients :
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Small yellow onion, chopped
- ½ lb Grounded pork meat (or grounded chicken, turkey or beef)
- ½ Teaspoon fish sauce
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon grated fresh or frozen turmeric, or turmeric powder
- ½ Teaspoon shrimp paste(kapik)(option)
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- ½ Cup fresh or frozen green peas
- ½ lb Shrimp, peeled and de-veins
- 4 Cups cooked Jasmine rice
- 1 Dozen fresh clams, mussels or oysters, brushed and cleaned shells
- Procedures :
Pre heat a non-sticck skillet or wok.
When wok is hot, add oil, garlic, onion and grounded meat, stirs well.
Seasoning meat with fish sauce, salt, sugar, turmeric, and *kapik* shrimp paste, stirs well.
Add coconut milk, kaffir lime leaf, peas and shrimp, stirs till shrimp turns darker pink color, add cooked rice, stirs well.
Put rice in a greased baking dish, arranges shellfish on top of rice and baked at 350 till the shells opened. Removed kaffir lime leaf before serve.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.