Sngor chuok trey .
(Khmer lemony fish soup.)
Chunks of fresh water fish savoring with lemon grass, rice and herbs is authentic Khmer Krom country food. This recip is simple but very tasty. It is the kind of food that always put a smile on my face and a warm feeling of home sweet home.
- Ingredients :
- 1 1½ to 2lbs whole fresh basa, catfish or snakehead fish, cleaned and cut chunks
- 2 Tablespoons uncooked Jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 Fresh or frozen lemon grass stalk, cut 5 inches in length and tied to bunches
- 4 Cups water
- ½ Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Stalks green onion, chopped
- 2 Chopped hot chili pepper (option)
- ½ Cup of chopped mix herbs of sweet basil (chee korhom), and Asian coriander ( chee xanghum)
- 1 Fresh lime or lemon, sliced
- Procedures :
Put fish, rice, lemon grass and water in a large soup pot and cook till rice tender, stirs often.
Seasoning with sugar, fish sauce and black pepper.
Top with green onion, chili pepper and mix herbs.
Serve hot with rice.
Add fresh squeezes lime juice(to your taste) to soup when eat.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.