( Watermelon soup with fish)
In Kampuchea Krom, we have these tiny green watermelons that slightly bigger than the size of baseball. These green watermelon are excellent for Khmer Krom soup and relish.
At my house, we don't waste food, if we buy a whole watermelon. We would cut out the red part, and keep the green part for soup or to make relish also. The leftover melon skin we would feed to my pigs.:)
Aroma melon soup with fish and a touch of pickle fish*pahok* is delicious Khmer Krom ethic food.
- Ingredients :
- 1 lb. Fillet of catfish cut to bite size. Or a medium fish,cut to steak size.
- 5 Cups water.
- 5 Cups of green watermelon. Already peeled and sliced.
- ¼ Cup minced lemon grass.
- 1 Clove garlic. Minced.
- 1 Tablespoon fresh or frozen minced Rhizome root , or 1 teaspoon Rhizome root powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar.
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce.
- 2 Tablespoons roasted rice powder.
- 2 Tablespoons creamy style pickle fish pahok.
- 2 Chopped hot chili pepper or to your taste.( Option)
- A handful chopped green onion and sweet basil leaves.
- Procedures :
Boil water in a large soup pot. When water boil add fish and watermelon.
Using mortal and pestles , pounded and crushed garlic, lemon grass, rhizome root and hot pepper together. When done put it in soup pot.
Seasoning soup with pahok, sugar, fish sauce and roasted rice powder when fish cooked. Stirs well.
Sprinkles with green onion and sweet basil leave.
Serve hot with rice.
Copyright by Mylinh Nakry.